• Currently unemployed as the result of a layoff or termination because of COVID-19
• OR, previously self-employed but unemployed because of COVID-19
• OR, have been providing unpaid services to family members in the home because of COVID-19, e.g., taking care of a child who cannot attend in-person school
• At least a high school diploma
• An aptitude and interest in IT as a career
• English language and basic math skills.
• App Development
• Business Technology Management
• Computer Science
• Cloud computing
• Google IT Support Professional
• Google IT Automation with Python
• IT Project management
• Technical Support Fundamentals
Coursework is performed through Coursera, a leading online education provider, with engaging videos and projects. Participants may attend peer-learning and job-readiness sessions and receive resume development and placement assistance.
“Employment in computer and information technology occupations is expected to grow by more than 10 percent in the United States by 2029 — faster than the average for all other occupations,” said Becky Currier, Goodwill’s manager of training and certification programs. “The IT Reemployment scholarship gives participants the hands-on experience and knowledge employers are seeking as well as the opportunity to change their lives at no cost.”
CHELSEA RUCKER – GOODWILL TRAINING PROGRAM SUCCESS STORY
Chelsea Rucker was a single mother of two in Nashville who longed for a career that would help her provide for her two young daughters. She dreamed of working for Google, but the family struggled with homelessness. Chelsea worked for Goodwill, then for a call center. In 2018, she heard about the Google IT Support Professional Certificate training program — one of several digital literacy courses offered by Goodwill. She applied for a scholarship and was accepted. In connection with the online course, she attended a Goodwill-hosted event at which she met a Google Data Center manager. He was impressed and asked for her resume. After several interviews, Chelsea was hired to work at Google’s Data Center in Clarksville. She has since moved her young family into a nice home nearby.